Although the history of Saint Bonnet is a fascinating one, we can only touch on a few points here. In his interesting book "Les Seigneurs de Saint Bonnet en Médoc", Arnaud Plichet tells us that the first mention of this noble house appeared in 1519. It belonged to the Minvielle family, who were also lords of d'Escurac (at Civrac in the Médoc) and possessed the privileges of la Bernède (in Bégadan). Doubtless, says Plichet, the origin of the Lordship of Saint Bonnet is much older, going back to at least 1505, since at this date there is mention of a tribute paid to the lord of Castillon (in Saint-Christoly-Médoc); but without the exact name of the lord in question, we can only make a guess as to his identity without any real certitude. The domain of Saint Bonnet was always occupied, as shown by the presence of a stone sarcophagus that was found in the vicinity of the château, according to oral tradition cited by the current owners, and the discovery of a bronze coin from the second millennium. In addition, in 1608 there existed a chapel dedicated to Saint Mark whose ruins were completely destroyed in 1786. The tower that today sits in the vineyard is an old dovecote that was probably rebuilt in the 19th century on the spot where one of the original fort's towers stood. Up until the middle of the 17th century, as was the case with most of the domains in the Médoc, the main activity at Saint Bonnet was primarily agricultural (grains and cattle); this is not to say that vines were absent, only that winemaking was a secondary pursuit. Thus, an inventory of the Noble House of Saint Bonnet dated 1692 shows a stock of various cereals (wheat, rye, barley) in the attic; 26 barrels of red wine, 20 of white and 1 tun of old wine in the cellars; 135 head of cattle (sheep and cows). In 1868, in the second edition of Bordeaux and Its Wines, La Tour Saint-Bonnet is listed as belonging to a Mr. Caranave, with an average production of 320 to 400 barrels of red wine. In 1893, the property was known as La Tour-Saint-Bonnet-Cazenave, and was owned by Mr. Amédée Lebœuf, who in 1903 sold it to Mr. Etienne André Lafon. Today, it is his granddaughter and her husband, Mrs. and Mr. Merlet-Lafon who run the property with the help of their children. In the wake of legal action by Château Latour in Pauillac in 1996, the "La" was dropped from the château's name, which is today known as Tour Saint Bonnet. The property is located on the banks of the Gironde estuary, on some of the finest gravel outcrops in the commune. The 40 hectare vineyard is maintained in a traditional manner (no chemical herbicides), and produces an average of 800 barrels of an excellent wine that is well-appreciated for its finesse and its bouquet. It fully deserves its reputation as one of the best "Cru Bourgeois" of the Médoc.